Pa o Umi is the small point of land near the middle of Kailua Seawall that marks the location of the landing and residence of the ruler Umi-a-liloa (ca. AD 1490-1525).
Umi, son of Liloa, fought the Kona chief Ehunuikaimalino and united the the island of Hawaii. He then moved the Royal Center from Waipio to Kailua.
Established c. 1919.
Today it is a community hall for the neighborhood association.
Trees planted in 1911 by Walter Duncan McBryde. The original line of the eucalyptus tree tunnel continued from the KaumualiʻI/Maluhia junction to Knudsenʻs Gap. Walter Duncan McBryde, a Scotsman who began cattle ranching in South Kauai, planted these Eucalyptus Trees over 150 years ago. The trees once formed a beautiful canopy over the highway before two hurricanes damaged the tops of the trees. Today they form a lush corridor on the way to Po’ipu.
The park houses an arboretum with 48 species of native trees and over 130 species of plants mostly planted in the 19th century, in 13.4 acres of forest. There is a loop nature trail, rough going in parts. The state park is part of the Manuka Forest Reserve, covering 25,550 acres.
The entry to Historic Kailua Village begins on Alii Drive where its oceanfront promenade offers sweeping vistas of Kailua Bay, from Kamakahonu and Kailua Pier to Hulihee Palace. This expanse holds significant archaeology, legendary treasures and historical sites.
The ancient settlement compound at Kamakahonu, where King Kamehameha ruled the kingdom from 1812-1819, once supported a compound of hale (thatched houses), fishponds and farm plots. Today, a reconstructed Ahuena Heiau (temple) sits adjacent to King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel. Hawaii’s first Christian missionaries came ashore at Kamakahonu in 1820 where the Kailua Pier now stands.
Kailua Pier has anchored the village since the early 1900s. Once the center of transportation and shipping where paniolo (Hawaiian cowboys) loaded cattle, Kailua Pier now serves as a gathering place for fishing and ocean recreation enthusiasts. The Hawaiian International Billfish Tournament has held its annual event here since 1959.
Signage marks the start and finish line of the Ironman Triathlon World Championship where every October over 1,700 athletes electrify the crowds watching this grueling event.
Established in 1920 by an immigrant family from Japan whose descendants still manage this general store.
75-5324 Mamalahoa Hwy
Directly east of the tree tunnel is Laʻaukahi (foreign tree). Boundary point of the Kōloa/Weliweli ahupuaʻa.
Kula Kai is part of a spectacular 1000-year old cave system consisting of many miles of braided lava tubes, one of the most extensive anywhere. There is a well-lit section with an easy walking trail suitable for anyone, or the more adventurous can experience a real adventure of exploration, with helmets, lights, gloves and knee pads provided. Reservations are required.
Visit the Kula Kai Caverns website
Hulihee Palace, constructed in 1838, was the gracious residence of Governor John Adams Kuakini and a favorite retreat for Hawaii’s royal families. It is one of only three palaces in the United States.
The Palace was constructed by foreign seamen using lava rock, coral, koa and ohia timbers. Kuakini oversaw the construction of both Mokuaikaua Church and Hulihee Palace and these landmarks once shared a similar architectural style. In 1884, King Kalakaua updated Hulihee with stucco and plaster, widened lanai, and added much to the interior décor.
Flanked to the north by Niumalu Bay and to the south by Kiope Fish Pond, Hulihee Palace was also the site of the observation of the Transit of Venus in 1874, one of the most important astronomical observations of the 19th century.
Today, the Palace is open to the public and operated as a museum by the Daughters of Hawaii. National Register of Historic Sites, 1973.
Visit the Hulihee Palace website
The Keopu Cemetery, located near mile marker 6 is truly a community cemetery where persons of various religious beliefs are buried.
The Catholic Cemetery is located near mile marker 5.
Mile marker 6 and 5 on Mamalahoa Hwy Holualoa
Hee-nalu meant “surf-riding,” Heeholua meant “sled-riding,” or sliding down grassy hillsides. Holua slides were the equivalent of a toboggan course, and were reserved for royalty. The sleds were usually made of hard, dark kauila wood. Runners made from this wood became very smooth and highly polished. The sleds were seven, twelve, or even eighteen feet long. They were turned up a little at the front end, where they were two to four inches apart. They were fastened together with a number of cross pieces almost the full length of the runners. Some of the courses for the sleds would stretch more than 4,000 feet in length.
The cliff, up to about 450 feet, is caused by the Kahuku fault, a geological fault line that is part of the South West Rift Zone of Mauna Loa. This rift zone starts near the summit of the mother mountain and extends for over 60 miles including several miles under the ocean, where the cliff face can be as great as 6000 feet. Looking inland from the viewpoint there is a view of Mauna Loa.
Founded by Boston missionaries who arrived in Historic Kailua Village in 1820, Mokuaikaua is Hawaii’s oldest Christian church. Preceded by two thatched hale, the church was transformed from 1835 to 1837 with exterior walls of lava rock masonry and crushed coral mortar. Hewn stones, most likely from the nearby ancient Hiiaka Heiau (temple), were used to construct the church foundation. Handsome interior features ohia timbers and koa wood paneling. A model of the Brig Thaddeus that carried the first missionaries here is on display. The archway was erected in 1920, 100 years after the arrival of these missionaries.
A narrow bridge crosses over the Waiaha Stream which served as a playground for children since the early 1920’s until this section west of the road became private property. As vegetation overtook the stream, flooding became a problem and a private landowner developed a park like flood plain with neatly manicured lawns.
Near Mile Marker 4 on Mamalahoa Hwy Holualoa
The figures represent the eight principal ethnic groups that created the sugar industry and Hawaii’s unique society. Ladd & Co. built its first sugar mill about half a mile from this site at a place called Maulili. The Maulili mill proved inadequate for the expanding plantation and in 1841 a new mill was buillt on this site, known then at Waihohonu.
A marker on the ocean side of the road was erected by the relatives of Captain Robert Brown, a whaler turned rancher who was probably the first to run cattle on the former Kahuku Ranch. Brown and his family were victims of the earthquake and lava flow that occurred during the great eruption of Mauna Loa in 1868.
Oceanfront county park facility with scenic shoreline views, pavilion and restroom facilities.
The Imin Center a County owned building in Holualoa was once the site of the Holualoa Japanese Language School. This was the first independent language school in all of Hawai`I, Built and maintained by Japanese immigrants, it was not affiliated with any religious organizations. The term Imin is a shortened version of Immigrant. Today, persons of all cultures enjoy the use of this building.
76-5893 Mamalahoa Hwy
Quaint old plantation buildings have been carefully renovated and restored and are now home to unique Shops and Restaurants. Take a leisurely stroll under the canopy of monkeypod trees. Experence Koloa’s vibrant past. Visit Old Koloa Town’s Koloa History Center and learn about life in the plantation era.
The new 116,000 acre Kahuku Unit of Hawaii Volcanoes National Park was purchased in 2003 and officially opened in September 2004. Kahuku is a place of dynamic volcanism, rich Hawaiian traditions and a fascinating history of ranching. It is a site of struggle and restoration for many unique plant and animal species of Kaū. The park has newly opened hiking trails, a bicycle route and ranger guided hikes. Guided hike schedules are available on the Park’s website or stop at the Kahuku Unit and check in with park staff. The Kahuku Unit is open to the public on weekends from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Kahuku is closed on the first Saturday of each month, weekdays and federal holidays.
Scenic panoramic views of the shoreline and seasonal surfing. Favorite place for residents and visitors to enjoy Kona’s famous sunsets.
Ipu Hale Gallery is dedicated to the perpetuation of an old Hawaiian method of decorating the ipu or Hawaiian gourd. Only on the island of Ni`ihau, the smallest of the Hawaiian Islands , did someone discover a method of dyeing gourds from the interior. This knowledge was lost a hundred years ago. In 1980 Dr. Bruce Ka`imiloa Chrisman rediscovered their technique.
76 5893 Mamalahoa Hwy
South Point Road is a 12-mile drive to the southernmost tip of Hawaii, and therefore of the United States, designated as a National Historic Landmark District. There are spectacular views along the coast looking towards Kona. Near the actual tip are the Kalalea heiau and famous mooring holes cut into the rock. A 2-mile walk or 4-wheel drive leads to Mahana Bay where there is a rare example of a green sand beach.
CAUTION: The road is mostly paved but becomes narrow. Car rental companies often have a clause prohibiting driving it. Parking is at owner’s risk. This point of interest is considered a side trip off the byway route, and may include hazardous driving conditions. Proceed with extreme caution at driver’s sole responsibility and risk with no assumption of liability by sponsor or the State of Hawaii.
Built at the turn of the 20th century, The Yamamoto Building functioned at various times as a plantation camp store and general store with service station. Behind it, the Kōloa Hotel offered rooms to traveling salesmen and actors. The o-furo, or hot tub, provided a relaxing soak to guests. Constructed around the turn of the century, the Yamamoto building was originally operated as a plantation camp store and later as a general store and service station.
Just on the outskirts of Historic Kailua Village this strip of white sand beach, known locally as Honl’s, has a grassy, shaded picnic area and offers board and bodysurfing for those with experience. Caution very shallow reef. Convenient parking, restroom and shower facilities.
This was a general mom and pop store. Today it is recognized as a State and National Historic Building
76-5902 Mamalahoa Hwy’
The lookout has a good view of Honuapo (the name means the caught turtle or alternatively “look, a turtle”) that was for many years the principal harbor for the shipping of Kau sugar, the wharf being built in 1878-1883.
Koloa Missionary Church sanctuary is part of a homestead once owned by Dr. James W. Smith, a medical missionary. In 1842, he began a practice of over 40 years, later becoming an ordained minister at The Church at Koloa. His grandson, Dr. Alfred Herbert Waterhouse, added a clinic to the homestead in 1933.
Nicknamed Tiki’s after the adjacent small hotel, lovely ocean vista. Pull out on the mauka (inland) side of Alii Drive.
Built in 1926 by the Inaba family that arrived in Hawaii around 1900 started by working on sugar plantations. The family then moved to Kona where Mr. Inaba planted some ot the first coffee near the Waiaha Stream but after a few years moved to Holualoa. Mr. Inaba worked as a cook for a German immigrant Luther Aungst, until he started the hotel which is enjoyed by guests to this day.
76-5908 Mamalahoa Highway
The Koloa Church was built in 1859 by Reverand James W. Smith, M.D. He served as a missionary, pastor and doctor from 1842 to 1887. This new and improved church served the congregation for 70 years. It was recorded in the Missionary Herald of 1860 that this church stood on the high ground and could be seen from far out to sea, forming a landmark which ships used for navigating as they approached port.
A sharp turn leads to the remains of Honuapo, now maintained by the county as Whittington Beach park. The area has views of the shoreline looking back towards Nā`ālehu, and close-ups of the Honu`apo pond.Traces of the former harbor structures can be seen all around.
Finished in 1855 under the supervision of the Reverend John D. Paris, builder of several churches throughout Kona, of coral lime and stone. Back then, members of this oceanfront church on Holualoa Bay often paddled to services and pulled their canoes up at the landing. It doubled as a government school house in the 1880s. Historically important grave sites.
Reconstructed as a modern church, the building was rescued from near ruin and has an active congregation today. National Register of Historic Places 1987.
Dr. Saburo Hayashi was Kona’s first western trained medical doctor. He chose Holualoa to begin his practice in 1894. In addition to tending to the medical needs of the community, he established and operated Kona’s first Japanese language newspaper. He also organized North Kona’s Japanese Community Cemetery and Language School.
76-5914 Mamalahoa Hwy
No easy parking, the best view is perhaps near mile marker 58. Unlike most volcanic hills, the Ninole Hills are flat-topped and steep-sided. The hill best known to locals, called Makanau, has the largest flat top and is normally covered by grass.
The oldest public school on Kaua`i, established in 1877.
Banyans or Puapuaa, the ancient name for this area not in common use today, is a popular local surf spot that once served as a canoe landing. For the expert surfer with shallow reefs and urchins. No facilities.
Former Laundry of the artist’s parents. Artist and wife are nationally and internationally recognized whose works may be viewed here. Now a granddaughter also has her works on display. Works of other artists are also available.
76-5920 Mamalahoa Highway
The wahi pana ʻekahi at the Kiahuna Golf Village is typical of the type of terrain the Hawaiians dealt with in the Koloa field system. The areas not accessible to water were planted with sweet potatoes. Rocks, as plentiful as there were here, were used to form mounds around the potatoes to wrap the vines around, add nutrients and to gather condensation.
Punaluu is the site of the most famous black sand beach on Hawaii Island. The beach is a favorite resting place for the honu, the green sea turtle, and the honuea, the endangered Hawksbill turtle. Punaluu has an important history and was the principal home of Keoua Kuahuula, the last alii of Kau.
Stunning bayfront views along this wide open stretch of roadway. Lymans, the surf spot off Kamoa Point within Holualoa Bay, accommodates skill levels ranging from beginner to expert depending on wave height. Oral traditions suggest King Kamehameha I learned to excel in board and canoe surfing in these very waters. Parking pull out located on mauka (inland) side of roadway. No facilities.
Formerly a garage of the T. Ueda Trucking service. Presently art pieces of many artists are offered.
76-5921 Mamalahoa Hwy
Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole was born in Koloa in a grass hut near this beach to Princess Kinoike Kekaulike and High Chief David Kahalepouli Pi`ikoi. He became a delegate to U.S. Congress after Hawai`i became a Territory in 1900, serving for 19 years. He worked tirelessly on behalf of the Hawaiian people.
This turnoff, Maile Street, is lined with impressive Fork Island pine trees planted as windbreaks for the macadamia nut orchards on both sides. Pahala was the administrative center for the Kau Sugar Company and the site of the last sugar mill to close on Hawaii Island, in 1996. The Pahala Plantation House, the former plantation manager’s house, can be visited by arrangement. Visit the website for The Pahala Plantation Cottages
Visit the website for The Pahala Plantation Cottages
As one of seven royal centers along the Kona Coast, the Holualoa Royal Center at Holualoa Bay held an important role in the island’s political, religious and social development for at least two centuries prior to Western contact. Alii of the highest ranking status, particularly chiefesses in the dynastic line, through several continuous generations were associated with these lands. The Holualoa Royal Center includes Kamoa Point/Keolonahihi Complex, Keakealaniwahine Residential Complex and Kaluaokalani. Oral traditions suggest site construction as early as 1300, yet much of what is known today relates to the 1700s.
The Holualoa Royal Center was split into two archaeological complexes when Alii Drive was first constructed in the 1800s. Purchased by the State of Hawaii in 1980, the 12-acre parcel makai (seaward) of Alii Drive with its recorded inventory of 16 archaeological sites with multiple features has been designated as Keolonahihi State Historical Park. The sites here are mostly religious, including five heiau and a puuhonua (place of refuge).
Keakealaniwahine’s Residence, the 16-acre mauka parcel with its 28 recorded archaeological sites, was donated later to the historical park. This complex contains many religious sites, including three heiau, and most of the sites date to the pre-contact period.
There are no improvements and the areas are not open for public visitation. National Register of Historic Places.
This was a pool hall attached to the building of the current Paul’s Place.
76-5924 Mamalahoa Highway
Kaihalulu (the roaring sea)
Wood Valley is best known for the Tibetan Buddhist Temple Nechung Dorje Drayang Ling. The present temple was rebuilt in 1925 and dedicated as a Tibetan Buddhist temple in 1975. The consecration ceremony in 1980 was attended by the Dalai Lama, who returned for a second visit in 1994. Visitors are welcome but should respect the monks and lay people who live on-site.
The area around the temple is noted for some beautiful old trees.
Serene county park with picnic and portable restroom facilities. Ocean access via coral rubble and rocky shore. Dive site off shore.
Built by the Tanimoto Family who also ran the Tanimoto Store, across the road, currently Paul’s Place. The Tanimotos built several theatres on this island.
76 5925 Mamalalhoa Hwy
Spouting Horn Park was called puhi, or blowhole, by early Hawaiians. Legends tell of a huge mo`o, or lizard, caught in this puhi, which was formed when waves eroded softer, underlying rock and wore through the harder top rock. Water rushing into the hole is forced through the narrow opening and shoots skyward. Water from the blow hole sometimes reaches heights of over sixty feet.
The ranch provides an opportunity for its guests to experience cattle ranching in a controlled, low-stress environment. Reservations are necessary. There are many children’s programs so the ranch can accommodate families in addition to groups of adults or children. Historically there was a village at Kapapala that was a popular rest point on the journey from Honuapo or Punaluu to the Kilauea volcano.
Constructed between 1849 and 1859, this trail was intended to link the Kona area with the Hilo area by the most direct route possible. Its construction was abandoned when portions of the trail were covered by a lava flow in 1859. Existing remnants near dilapidated wooden gate on Alii Drive.
This church building was an extension of the Kona Hongwanji Mission in Kealakekua, who sent a priest at regular intervals to those who were unable to commute to Kealakekua.
81-6630 Mamalahoa Highway
Near mile marker 38 a paved pullout and parking area leads to the Footprints Shelter and to fossil footprints of individuals crossing the Kau Desert during the 1790 ash-filled eruption of Kilauea. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The footprints were thought to be only those of warriors from Keoua Kuahuula’s army as they returned home from battle.
The National Tropical Botanical Gardens is headquartered here at Lawai Kai. NTBG’s gardens and preserves are safe havens for at-risk plant species that might otherwise disappear forever. There are two gardens at Lawai Kai, Allerton’s and the McBryde Gardens. NTBG is a not-for-profit institution, dedicated to discovering, saving and studying the world’s tropical plants and to sharing what is learned. NTBG has the largest collection of endangered plant species in the world.
Queen Emma resided at Lawai Kai, when visiting Kauai for a year in 1871.
Also known as Disappearing and Magic Sands, this popular spot for beachgoers is a fine white sandy beach during calm seas. During periods of high surf, the sand washes out and leaves exposed rock giving the location its nicknames. Fun shore breaks can become intense. Lifeguard on site. Restrooms and parking.
Preservation areas within the park protect the former site of Haukalua Heiau (now vanished) and other archaeological sites including burials.
Currently a privately owned gallery showcasing ukulele that is made by the artist’s students.
This former post office building was originally built and located across the street and when it was decided that it should be located closer to the center of the village, it was moved to its present location. Ueda Trucking was called upon to move the building but the truck was unable to complete its trek across the road. Therefore, the building was left on the middle of the road overnight and the task was completed the next morning.
The oldest public school on Kaua`i, established in 1877.
In the mid 1800s, Koloa Landing was the third largest whaling port in all of Hawai‘i and the only port of entry for foreign goods. Up to 60 ships a year anchored here to stock provisions and take on passengers. In 1792, Vancouver stated, “…the low country which stretches from the foot the of the mountains toward the sea, occupied principally with the kalo plant…interspersed with some sugar-canes of luxuriant growth and some sweet potatoes.”
Mauna Loa Road literally leads to the summit. The paved part suitable for cars (narrow paved road) leads to an observation point at about 6000 feet elevation that has views of the Kīlauea crater and the ocean, also to the south over Kau district. Beyond the observation point is a trail that leads to the summit, with a cabin along the way. The trail beyond the observation point is a 2-day hiking trail.
A small cove on the south side of the parking lot serves as an entry point for snorkelers and divers. Although there is limited sand and the entry is over a rocky beach, snorkeling conditions are good.
Archaeological features have been identified on the Laaloa site.
Originally, the Holualoa Chapel was built by the Reverend Albert Sherburne Baker. Reverend Baker was headquartered at Central Kona Union Church and served as circuit minister throughout the district between 1904 and 1919. Dedicated in 1906, Holualoa Chapel served the multilingual community of English, Japanese and Korean.
76-5946 Mamalahoa Hwy
One of the most interesting facts associated with Luahinealapiʻi (Hapa Trail) is the hula mound Pa’u a Laka, on the western side of Hapa where it met the seaside Ho’onani Road. Hawai’i’s hula icon, ‘Iolani Luahine, learned and practiced hula here under the tutelage of loea hula, Keahi Luahine. One of ‘Iolaniʻs hula sisters at Paʻu a Laka was Mary Kawena Pukui.
The main section of the National Park ranks as the main visitor attraction in Hawaii Island and possibly in the whole state. Featuring the Kilauea Caldera, Crater Rim Drive, Chain of Craters Road (itself a Scenic Byway), Jagger Museum, coastal views, petroglyphs, and almost continuous eruptions of Kilauea volcano. A World Heritage site.
Visit the website for Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
Kuemanu Heiau overlooks Kahaluu Bay and is associated with surfing. Its terraces provided excellent vantage points and its adjacent Waikui Pond was convenient for chiefs to bathe after an ocean outing.
This heiau is part of the greater Kahaluu and Keauhou Historic Area.
This sect of Buddhism was not associated with other Buddhist Churches. However, services are held for a small group of followers.
76-5945 A Mamalahoa Hwy
The walled heiau (temple) that once stood here was 130 feet by 90 feet; dedicated to Kāne, a major god of Hawai‘i, Hulokoki, a bird god, Kū-hai-moana and Ka-moho-ali‘i, two shark gods. Three hala-lihilihi-‘ula trees situated on the outside of the naupaka hedge mark the heiau perimeter.
Immediately adjacent to Kuemanu is St. Peter’s Catholic Church, one of Hawaii’s smallest, yet most picturesque churches. Originally built in 1880 and moved to its present location in 1912. At one time, this church site housed the kahuna (priest) of Kuemanu Heiau.
The Portuguese first arrived in Hawaii to work on the sugar plantations, then they moved onto coffee plantations, dairy farms and ranches.
Some of them came with sufficient resources to set up their own businesses. Tom Gouveia started a butcher shop since many Portuguese were in ranching, and his establishment has been preserved to reflect its historical integrity.
76-5960 Mamalahoa Hwy,
Luahinealapii, aka Hapa Trail, is a state historic site that bisects the Koloa Field System.
Ruins of the old Helani Church lava rock walls (built in 1861 by Rev. John D. Paris) still stand. As was often the custom, churches were constructed atop sites that once featured heiau and Helani Church was built atop the former Ohiamukumuku Heiau.
Located in the heart of Holualoa, Immaculate Conception was built in 1880 to service the Portuguese and Filipino immigrants working on the coffee farms. The frame church was destroyed by fire on December 6, 1943. Under the direction of Father Benno Evers, it was rebuilt with the help of the military within eight months; an on-site plaque dates the construction.
76-5960 Mamalahoa Hwy, Holualoa
Koloa’s gem of cultural and historical sites Kaneiolouma Heiau, fishponds, loi and game grounds.
The ahupuaa of Kahaluu, which takes its name from a chiefess of high rank, served as the occasional residence of several Hawaiian kings. Its legendary breakwater, Paokamenehune, which once nearly enclosed the bay, was an enormous engineering accomplishment. Remnant sections are visible today.
This park is the most popular nearshore snorkeling site in Kona, perfect for beginners and rich enough for experts. Frequented by honu (Hawaiian green turtle). Interpretive signs, pavilions, parking, picnic areas, restrooms, showers, lifeguard.
Luther Aungst, German immigrant , chose Holualoa as headquarters for the Kona Telephone Company established in the 1890’s. Using mules to drag telephone poles across treacherous lava flows, Aungst installed a line from Hilo to Kau, and across Kona to North Kohala. Today, this building is being restored by a person who is committed to maintain the history of Holualoa.
76-5961 Mamalahoa Hwy, Holualoa
Stone and coral tools found at Keoneloa Bay, meaning “long sand”, helped archaeologists determine that early Hawaiians used the area between 200 and 600 A.D. as a temporary fishing camp. Later Hawaiians left remnants of heiau, or temples, and ahu, or altars. They prayed to Kāna‘aukai, an important fishing god.
The lands of Kahaluu and Keauhou hold rich archaeological treasures including several important heiau. Using modern-day technology coupled with ancient techniques, Hapaialii and Keeku heiau have been fully restored. Experts in the Hawaiian art of uhau humu pohaku (dry stack masonry) have rebuilt the massive stone platforms. Carbon dating indicates Hapaialii, used for prayers, was built on a smooth pahoehoe lava flow sometime between 1411 and 1465.
Oral traditions reveal that when Lonoikamakahiki defeated the invading Chief Kamalalawalu of Maui, he sacrificed him at Keeku. The spirits of his grieving dogs are said to continue to guard the site. At very low tide, carved petroglyphs that speak of this legend may be visible.
These heiau, along with King Kalakaua’s Beach House, the Halau of High Chief Kuakini, Poo Hawaii, Kapuanoni Heiau and two kuula stones (associated with fishing) are best viewed from the grounds of Keauhou Beach Resort on Alii Drive.
Ichitaro Nakamaru arrived from Japan in the late 1880’s. Prior to his son Kaname’s graduation from dental school a residence and a separate building for a dental office was built. Today the property is owned by grandsons, Bruce and Kent. Kent, also a dentist has chosen to preserve his father’s office as it was in the 1920’s. A visitor can peer in through the door to view the original dentist’s chair and equipment.
76-6004 Mamalahoa Hwy.
The eastern sand dunes of Makawehi (calm face) and Paa (hard rock) yield fossilized plant roots, bird bones, crab claws and other treasures. Prior to extensive wave erosion, this prominent limestone ridge extended across Keoneloa Bay. During March through November, water birds visit and sea birds nest and roost in the dunes.
Makolea Heiau is located 600 feet from the sea and on the same tidal flat as Hapaialii and Keeku heiau. Makolea was built or consecrated by Lonoikamakahiki and that it was used for prayers in general.
Kona Blue Sky Coffee located near the intersection of Mamalahoa and Hualalai Rd. offers free tours to share the story of their family farm.
76-973A Hualalai Rd.Holualoa Visit the Blue Sky Coffee Website
Holualoa Kona Coffee Farm located approximately 2 miles to the south also offers free tours.
77-6261 Mamalahoa Hwy, Holualoa
At the very top of Haupu Mountain is the heiau Keolewa, dedicated to the hula god Laamaikahiki. There exist a legend of the sacred puu of the Haupu mountain range where Laa descended and past on the sacred hula to the Hawaiians living in this area.
Pull out alongside Alii Drive includes an incredible view of the coast and an interpretive sign explaining the archaeological and historical significance of the lands of Kahaluu and Keauhou.
Y. Kimura Store, now Kimura’s Lauhala Shop, has served the community since 1914. Y. Kimura Store offered a wide variety of merchandise. They often traded store merchandise for lauhala hats and in turn sold the hats to farmers and sugar plantation workers. The sale of lauhala hats led to the offering of a variety of lauhala products. Today Kimura’s Lauhala Shop is a popular destination persons looking for quality, hand crafted lauhala products.
Junction of Mamalahoa and Hualalalai Rd.
At the very top of Haʻupu Mountain is the Heiau Keolewa, dedicated to the hula god Laamaikahiki. There exist a legend of the sacred puʻu of the Haʻupu mountain range where Laʻa descended and past on the sacred hula to the Hawaiians living in this area.
The Donkey Mill Art Center was built in 1954 when coffee farmers were having difficulty earning a living as coffee prices dropped. The Kona Coffee Cooperative was formed and members proceeded to build this mill to process coffee. Visitors will see activities that fulfill the mission of the art center to enrich lives of persons of all ages and abilities.
78-6670 Mamalahoa Hwy
Visit the Donkey Mill Art Center Website
The primary archaeological feature of Keauhou was its monumental Holua Slide, a stone ramp nearly one mile in length that culminated at Heeia Bay. Holua slides were the equivalent of a toboggan course, and were reserved for royalty. Contestants reached treacherous speeds on their narrow sleds by adding thatching and mats to make the holua slippery. When the waves were large, crowds would gather on a stone platform at Heeia Bay to watch as holua contestants raced against surfers to a shoreline finish. A portion of the holua is visible on Alii Drive, directly mauka (inland) of the golf clubhouse entrance.
More than 5 million years ago, a hotspot in the earth spewed lava upward to form the volcanic mountain island of Kaua‘i. Nearby Hā‘upu Ridge and Mountain contain some of the oldest geologic formations. Look for the youngest volcanic cones, such as Pu‘uwananana, within view. Weathered volcanic material produced rich agricultural plains.
Original owners, the Sasaki family established the store in 1919. Preservation enthusiasts, Kurt and Thea Brown have refurbished Keauhou Store to include a mini-museum of items of by-gone days. A visitor to this store may purchase a variety of present day items while viewing items that tell a story of Kona’s past.
78-7010 Mamalahoa Hwy Holualoa
Visit the Keauhou Store Website
Following the death of King Kamehameha the Great, two powerful cousins engaged in the final battle of the Hawaiian Kingdom at Kuamoo, one that changed the course of their civilization. Kekuaokalani and his wife Manono gallantly led the fight to preserve traditional ways, but were ultimately defeated by the forces of Liholiho (Kamehameha II). The remains of more than 300 warriors are buried in the terraces at Lekeleke Burial Grounds. Parking on roadway shoulders. Interpretive signage on site.
Last updated: June 10, 2016